Tuesday 16 October 2012

Pumpkin hat

I was inspired to make a pumpkin hat for Mia's first Halloween when we received a gift of a little outfit that had a pumpkin on it.

I browsed many designs on different websites until I came across the nicest of all of them.
I started with a stalk that I made out of green merino wool in dk. I first started by making a chain of ten, then I sc into each chain until I had six rows. I then folded the piece so the lower edge was meeting a top edge and sc through both thicknesses making it into a tube. I then made rounds around the end of the tube until I had a proper stalk.
I switched colours and made 10 dc rows in orange dk increasing evenly as I progressed. The ridges were made with front post double crochet. I made the edging with five dtr into the base of the ridge with a chain between them into a base chain, skipped three chains, single crochet, skipped three more chains and made another 5 dtr until the end, fastened off.
I added a final touch by making a little swirly leaf that I attached it to the stalk. I made a chain of 30 and then I made five dc into each chain starting from the second chain from the hook.

The hat is made and now we just have to wait for the Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment