Tuesday 10 April 2012

Mia's first blanket

This was the first thing that I created for my baby. My husband and I didn't find out the sex of our baby in advance, so I never knew what kind of blanket to make. But when I saw this blanket in The Happy Hooker book (Seija Stroller Blanket by Bev Ireland), I fell in love with it and wanted to make it. The pattern was very easy and since I hadn't been crocheting for a while beforehand this was a perfect opportunity to start on something so simple and yet so cute. I was planning to give the blanket to my friend who had a little girl only couple of months before me if I had a baby boy.
For the blanket I used 100g Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino in pink, 100g Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino in chocolate brown and 100g Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino in white and a 3.5 mm crochet hook.
The finished size of the blanket was given in inches and since I came from a country using the metric system, I never knew what it meant. I used a measuring tape that had centimetres on one side and inches on the other and started to crochet. I suddenly realised that my blanket was going to be a lot smaller than I expected. It turned out that my measuring tape had incorrect measures for inches, luckily I had an iPhone Units Converter app, so I used the inches and converted them into centimetres and continued my work on the blanket. I must admit I hardly ever follow the instructions for the patterns once I can understand them.
I ended up using all my yarn for the blanket and had nothing left for the braids that are weaved through the spaces in the borders on each end of the blanket. So I finished it up with three rows of single crochet stitches in pink yarn making a nice simple boarder.
So when my baby girl was born, I asked my husband to bring this blanket from home and it was the first thing that she had that was made by me.


No comments:

Post a Comment